Saturday, July 30, 2011

M27 - NGC 6853 - The Dumbbell Nebula


M27 - Dumbbell Nebula
It started all with a cloudy night, where I was taken glimpses of stars between cloud and cloud, to determine the quality of my new optical setup.  I was not planning on an observing night but sometime after 12:30 AM, the clouds stopped going by and the night sky opened up.   Like a good astronomer, I decided to work on some imaging for a science project, I am currently working on.    As the morning hours went by and I was about done with my imaging for the night, I looked at my planetarium software and see the label, M27 not far from my current position.  

M27 in false colors
Well it happens that M27, also known as the Dumbbell Nebula is a beautiful planetary nebula in the constellation Vulpelcula. It signals the end of the life of a star. In its center there is a star remnant called a white dwarf. The expanding material that we see spans about 3 ligth years across. The nebula itself is 1,360 light years away.
The images were taken last night from VAO, 3x60 second exposures on the luminance filter, binned 2x2 with an Orion Parsec Monochromatic camera with my LX200 ACF 12" telescope at aprrox. f/6.3


No comments:

Post a Comment